Hi Gabriel,
On Sat, 19 Sep 2026 at 19:54, Gabriel Wicki <[email protected]> wrote:
> what are "constructive comments"
> (as they, for example, appear in GCD001), anyways?
Indeed it’s not easy to clearly define. What is currently written in
GCD 001:
### Deliberation Period (14 days)
A team member sending this reply should have made constructive
comments during the discussion period.
And
## Decision Making
A deliberating member disapproving a proposal bears a
responsibility for finding alternatives, proposing ideas or
code, or explaining the rationale for the status quo.
Well, I’ll pick an example for highlighting my own understanding. When
I read this long message [1] from and you disapproving GCD 008, it
provides 5 items.
About the 5 items, 4 are only concerns that should lead to “I accept”.
Concretely, “1. While I don't think any one of these are absolute
thresholds”, “2. I just don't buy”, “3. I find it highly questionable”
and “4. The "Luddite" angle reminds me” all this means you can live
with. Somehow, GCD 008 isn’t the perfect articulation from your
perspective but it’s hard to understand what could be the next step from
you as “member disapproving a proposal bears a responsibility for…”.
You – bearing a responsibility – are not able to resolve them because
these 4 items are only your personal opinion.
Therefore, these 4 items should lead to “I agree with these concerns…”.
Somehow, as I did [1] or as Vagrant did [2]. It appears to me the
humble position: Ok, it’s not perfect to my eyes but it’s good enough
that I can live with it although this and that still annoy me.
It remains one item: “4. The term genAI is not (properly) defined.” And
you have been clear [4] when discussing:
As mentioned earlier: /genAI/ as a term is still not defined, as are
most other essential terms in this "ruleset".
For me, this is not acceptable.
Then Ludo directly asked [5] you:
Could you propose a definition for inclusion in the document?
My take is that it’s clear enough what we’re talking about in this
context, and in fact, nobody asked for a definition until now if I’m not
mistaken, but I don’t mind adding one for clarity.
To my knowledge, Gabriel, you never replied. And as recalled above
about GCD 001, you, Gabriel, had a special responsibility here.
Therefore, it appears to me legitimate to challenge your “disapproval”.
Is it a constructive comment to raise “X is not acceptable” but then
never provide an attempt to resolve X or replace X by Y or else?
Cheers,
simon
PS: About GCD 007, as Sponsor, I publicly sent [6] a call for withdrawn
before entering the “Deliberation Period“. Somehow, as Sponsor, I
already did the exercise and I’ll not rehash.
1: Re: GCD 008: Deliberation starts
Gabriel Wicki <[email protected]>
Mon, 27 Jul 2026 16:03:28 +0200
notmuch:id:[email protected]
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2026-07
https://yhetil.org/guix/[email protected]
2: Re: GCD 008: Deliberation starts
Simon Tournier <[email protected]>
Thu, 16 Jul 2026 18:34:33 +0200
notmuch:id:[email protected]
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2026-07
https://yhetil.org/guix/[email protected]
3: Re: GCD 008: Deliberation starts
Vagrant Cascadian <[email protected]>
Tue, 14 Jul 2026 11:07:28 -0700
notmuch:id:877bmxsavz.fsf@wireframe
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2026-07
https://yhetil.org/guix/877bmxsavz.fsf@wireframe
4: Re: [GCD008; genAIv2] Change existing documentation instead of adding new
documents
Gabriel Wicki <[email protected]>
Mon, 29 Jun 2026 22:27:56 +0200
notmuch:id:akLPJQdjGaBOJSUx@blackbox
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2026-06
https://yhetil.org/guix/akLPJQdjGaBOJSUx@blackbox
5: Re: [GCD008; genAIv2] Change existing documentation instead of adding new
documents
Ludovic Courtès <[email protected]>
Tue, 30 Jun 2026 10:26:49 +0200
notmuch:id:[email protected]
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2026-06
https://yhetil.org/guix/[email protected]
6: Re: GCD007: Next (last?) round of discussion.
Simon Tournier <[email protected]>
Wed, 22 Apr 2026 13:42:02 +0200
notmuch:id:[email protected]
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2026-04
https://yhetil.org/guix/[email protected]