Leo Simons wrote:
I browsed around my centipede beta4 install (which is just sitting on disk doing nothing atm) and the website, and I can't really figure out where to start. Where do I look?
In CVS ATM. We are finishing the "depchecker" now, so you may use it soon.
All other features work well.

I have:
- working and configured ant 1.5.1 install (C:\Progam Files\Apache Group\Ant\)
- full, working, up2date and configured local gump install (C:\gump\) with checkouts of all projects it manages
- working centipede beta4 install( C:\Progam Files\Krysalis\centipede\)
- working forrest 0.2.1 install (C:\Progam Files\Apache Group\Forrest\)
- working maven beta7 install (C:\Progam Files\Apache Group\Maven\)
- working latest full cygwin (C:\cygwin\)
- paths and variables all setup correctly

What I want is to:
- set up a neat alternative to the depchecker.xml script & friends in jakarta-avalon-excalibur using one or more of these tools, so I can
a) do test integration builds (already there)
b) do release builds (not there yet)
- then make this as easy as possible and document the process so others can do the same thing (todo)
My suggestion (of course) is to wait for a couple of days for the "depchecker" to be finished, and try a centipede build on the project.

I will send you a centipede buildfile to make you test.

- reduce the buildfiles in the avalon project and my own software projects to the minimum size and number possible (todo)
- automate (todo)
Yes.

- reduce the number of bullets in the list above (ie the build prereqs) to none, allowing something like

`links -source http://www.buildme.org/go.sh | bash; build-project`

with minimal download time, minimal running time, and with minimal expenditure of energy on my part. (probably not happening soon)
It has been proposed, it's in the todo list.

Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:

I've been experimenting with removing the Avalon-Excalibur ant-based dependency mechanism, and instead relying on gump to track the dependencies. This turns out to be pretty easy to do, but it leads to a dilemma: while I want my nightly builds to be done using the-latest-of-everything, I want my releases to be done using the-latest-release-of-everything.
Centipede uses the Gump descriptors to do it.
cool.

IMHO Gump should remain about integration builds, and Centipede used to build a single module. But this is just MHO.
In my even more humble, mostly uninformed, and moreover mostly pointless because not actually helping much opinion, ant2 should be based around jelly, then maven and centipede refactored and merged, then gump reduced to a GUI/CUI, a script or two, and some xml files layered on top of that.
Been there, done that, failed.

Ant2 is progressing nicely by itself, Maven and Centipede will not merge soon given that my proposal about that has been rejected hard, and the Gump xml file as a standard has been embraced only by Centipede.

Anyway, the above "MHO" is not about theory but practice. It's based on my concrete experiments with Gump and simple Ant buildfiles about this. It's all what Centipede is about.

Disregarding MHO, I'm right now just looking for the simplest thing that will possibly work :D
Yup.

            - verba volant, scripta manent -