Leo Simons wrote:
Hi gang,

I'm planning to do something similar to the <javadoc/> option. I want to make the results of <junitreport/> available through GUMP. My hunch is that a new tag should be added to <project/> definitions to point at the location of the generated reports, then having a copy or symlink made from the generated logs by modifying the xslt stylesheets.

is that the general idea? Anything I should look at or be aware of? Tips? Anyone already done this?

Excellent!

Here's a brief overview of how gump works internally, relative to javadoc. Everything I say would apply to junitreport.

Jenny is a java program which is responsible for merging together all of the xml descriptions into a single work/merge.xml file. In the process, it resolves, verifies and cleans up everything. The key files affected in this is workspace and project - as you will need an javadoc element in workspace to identify where (and if) the output will be placed (both the directory and url), and project.java will need to handle the element you have already mentioned.

Now comes the twist: project.java places all the fully resolved javadoc information onto the associated module element. Define the javadoc element in your workspace and "build gump gen" to see what is produced. Look for javadoc elements with nested descriptions. The descriptions will have fully resolved source, dest, and url attributes.

You can debug your work so far simply by inspecting the generated work/merge.xml. Admittedly, the DOM level manipulations that will be required in Project.java aren't that fun or elegant, nor, however is this very hard and you can simply clone resolveJavadoc to get you started.

The next step is the one that actually makes it all happen. It also is the easiest. The stylesheet/pubdocs.xsl produces a perl script. Don't let that freak you out. The script creates a map (HashMap in javaterms) of sources and destinations, and iterates over them, copying directories as it goes. Simply clone the template for javadoc, adjust as necessary, and the junitreport files should be added to the map. Visually inspect pubdoc.pl to see what I mean.

The next step is to where most of the thought will go into. Look at stylesheet/xref.xsl. Search for javadoc. This is what produces the following:

http://nagoya.apache.org/~rubys/gump/javadoc.html

If you look closely, all of the jakarta commons projects are under the jakarta commons module. Single project modules are formatted differently. Hopefully, most of the logic should be the same, but if there is any creativity required, this would be the area.

Finally, please update site/xdocs as appropriate.

g'night,

- LSD

Good luck!

- Sam Ruby