Stefan wrote:

> Please note that there already is a commons-httpclient-2.0-branch
> project in Gump's workspace.  It would be trivial for projects to
> depend on that branch instead of CVS HEAD and in fact jakarta-slide
> and xml-rpc already do so.

Thanks, I'd not seen that.

However, most of my statement (and now question) is about friend-of-gump
behaviour, and having that project is good, but not "friendly" 'cos it
forces work onto sub-projects. Do you not agree that the project should
manage itself, should create the new (temporarily unstable) codebase as the
sub-named project, and should either alias (via <project
name="commons-httpclient" .. <depend
name="commons-httpclient-old-stable-branch" inherit="all") or rename
projects in order to manage it for folk? It seems better for the active
project to manage this once (with sub-projects having named projects should
they chose) than for sub-projects to attempt to keep track.

If not, it gets into me as a user having to manage VFS ('cos they are too
busy off elsewhere to do such things) and that seems (1) rude [I oughtn't]
(2) messy we'd loose valuable gump runs due to folks trying to keep in
synch.

regards,

Adam