On Thu, 29 Jan 2004, Mark R. Diggory <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> 2.) There is the nightly build process on minotaur that Craig
> McClanahan runs. This generates nightly builds under
>
> /www/cvs.apache.org/builds/...

There used to be a nightly process on Sam's machine that placed
Gump-built nightlies for various projects there as well.

> 3.) There are the various continuous integration builds gump is
> managing. These are producing jars and other distributables.

Right now, all those Gump installations run on non-ASF hardware.
There have been talks about setting up a dedicated machine for builds
and Gump would use that, but there is not much yet.

> It would be beneficial to see these various sources unified or
> synced up in someway.

Gump's goal probably is a bit different from what Craig's script
does.  I'm pretty sure that Craig will build against the latest
releases of components the thing he wants to build depends on - while
Gump will always build against the latest code.

This means that Gump may fail to produce anything if any component you
depend upon changes in a backwards incompatible way (and your
compilation fails because of this).  This is probably not acceptable
for a nightly build systems unless you have very few or very
stable/well-behaving components you depend upon.

For things like Struts Gump couldn't replace Craig's script - and vice
versa as Struts would be losing the early warning if things change.

For projects that don't get built by Craig's script and are unlikely
to be broken by components they depend on - say Ant - Gump could
produce exactly the content that the repository needs.

Gump can already publish the created artifacts and in fact it does so
<http://gump.covalent.net/jars/>.  It would be possibly to rsync the
content from there (or any other machine running Gump) over to
minotaur if we find a secure-enough way to do it.  Some tweaking of
the directory structure may be required for this to work as well.

Stefan