Hello Folks,
  GURPS CYBERPUNK in the bad old days of GURPS 3e (tongue in cheek when I
say that!), had a situation where it posted the dollar cost of
cybernetic enhancements as well as listing a point cost.  My own
philosophy regarding character generation was that you paid money for
equipment, points for things you started off with at character
generation.  I never charged a player both points and money for them to
have say, cybernetic eyes.  If they purchased an item and underwent
surgery - risking a bad surgery roll etc - then they didn't have to also
pay character points in addition to the money to have the cybernetic
enhancements.  At one point, I permitted the use of character point cost
instead of monetary expenditure to represent the time spent finding a
doctor to graft it to your body, find good equipment that wasn't as
advertised, and the fact that the operation to install it was a success.
 Finally, I just treated cybernetic enhancements as just plain old
"equipment" and let it go at that.

The odd thing is?  In trying to mesh GURPS 4e with GURPS CYBERPUNK, I
sought a means for calculating the character point cost for cyberlimbs etc
- and even turned to my GURPS CHARACTER ASSISTANT to determine what the
cyberlimb modifiers might be.   Sadly?  The only cybernetic's
limitations/enhancements I could find in GCA - there those relating to
Mind Reading ONLY.

Then I thought "Well, perhaps the gadgets limitations/enhancements mmight
work - until I found this...

page 116, lower right - last paragraph:

"In particular, the GM should never charge points for ordinary,
manufactured equipment - or even for special equipment, if it is for sale
- unless it happens to be signature gear (pg 85)."

The paragraph continues on, and even onto the next page, in which it
states on page 117:

..."anyone could buy these items, they have a cash cost, not a point cost."

That seems to imply then, that with the exception of rarity or "unusual
background" costs, there should be no character points associated with the
actual ownership of cybernetic enhancements per se, as those are
purchasable items that anyone could purchase.

That leads to the next question, one that may be answered in GURPS ULTRA
TECH for 4e...

If GURPS 4e specifically talks about armor that is purchasable as being
equivalent to DR, night vision goggles being equivalent to Infravision,
etc - and those are all equipment items as opposed to advantage items...
would any piece of cybernetic enhancements be treated as a form of
"correctable" regards to equipment that replaces "meat"?

Example:  A man who has a cyberhand to replace his missing crippled hand,
he takes the disdavantage "crippled" with the modifier of "correctable". 
If he takes bionic eyes, he must also take blind as a disadvantage with
"correctable" as a modifier.  Problem is?  If the eyes have better
capabilities than the original "Meat" version - why is not the character
penalized in character points?  The problem/issue with what was written in
the paragraphs on page 116 & 117 is that they specifically discuss a
situation regarding infravision - which is better than normal vision.  The
goggles can be stolen, broken, run out of power, etc.  That makes them
"equipment" not "character point expenses".

Ah well, I think I'm going to consider the prospect of my original
philosophy regarding CYBERPUNK character generation the correct one in
view of all this in GURPS 4e.  Equipment that you can buy is still *JUST*
equipment.  Unusual background costs can be for what ever the GM desires
as a balancing tool, rather than a mandatory "hey, you MUST use these
rules or the SJG Men in Black will appear and revoke your GM'ing license.


_______________________________________________
GurpsNet-L mailing list <[email protected]>
http://mail.sjgames.com/mailman/listinfo/gurpsnet-l

Reply via email to