Hey everyone,

I have to agree with Suzi.  I don't wash my velvets before or after I
sew...it seems to mess with the pyle/pile.  ok, it gets funky after it's
washed; however gently.

Just my 4 cents (inflation + GW Bush, ya Know)

Rhonda

Rhonda Donaldson
LTA II
e-Reserves Jr. Guru in Training
Circulation Department
Downtown Campus Library
P O Box 6069
Morgantown, WV
26506
293-4040 x4094
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

"Without change, something sleeps inside us, and seldom
awakens. The sleeper must awaken."
--Frank Herbert

"The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their
dreams."
- Eleanor Roosevelt

At 04:36 AM 7/10/2005, you wrote:
>Why do you want to wash it? I never, ever wash velvet, (of any kind)
and
>the suppliers here in England are horrifeid at the thought. I don't
see the
>point of buying a fabric for its look and feel, then washing it to
change
>that.
>
>Suzi in London

I wash my cotton velveteens and cotton velvets all the time. Why? To
allow
me to clean it at home, with gentle detergent and rinse, and then hang
dry. Otherwise, my costumes would cost a fortune to keep dry cleaned,
not
to mention all the trims I would have to remove first as dry cleaners
here
mangle or melt them.

If I am using velvet it is  for an elaborate gown, covered with trims,
and
totally unsuitable for washing. I have customers from 20 years ago who
have
only had their costumes dry cleaned, and they are in excellent
condition,
no melting or mangling. Obviously it takes all sorts.

Not to mention that some of the velvets I have purchased have the
nastiest
hand before wash (all the treatments), and soften up nicely after
wash.

I have never had to buy velvets that I didn't like the hand of - I
don't
give customers those to sample!! And the rayons here are not really
shiny
at all. However, the so-called silk velvets are really nasty looking,
and
expensive, but usually look cheap!! I won't touch them at all. Isn't
it
fascinating how different our experiences qwith fabrics are?

Suzi in London