When I was a tech writer for one of Hewlett-Packard's computer research labs, there was a chemistry research lab across the hall. Our department's vending machine was near our door to that hall, and the chemists came in to use it a lot. Yes, they wore white lab coats. They also wore what is apparently the other essential costuming accessory for chemists (and probably mad scientists)--badly stained hands.

Fran
Lavolta Press Books on Historic Costuming
http://www.lavoltapress.com

Ruth Anne Baumgartner wrote:

The lab coat is a knee-length heavy cotton (usually white) unlined coat/jacket, with side seams split to allow access to trousers pockets, possibly two front pockets with angled openings, and a pocket on the left chest.