I remember reading about that hat, specific to parts of the German
states, a couple of years ago, and I can't remember the name of it
either, nor do I have the name of the reference to hand. I was doing
some rushed searching on German styles and saw the info. The reference
said that the hat had a woven base to it made of reeds or straws. If
you look at the first picture, you can see through the holes of the
white fabric that there is actually something woven underneath it.

I wish I could offer something more solid for reference than this
memory. All I can remember is that I thought, "of course, how else
would they get that flowing shape if it wasn't woven?"

LynnD