In a message dated 8/12/2005 9:58:22 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

> thought there was another term for this, other than translation, but  I'm
> drawing a blank.

Not sure which word you're looking for,  but here's the online thesaurus
with a bunch of  selections:

http://thesaurus.reference.com/search?q=translation

Either "adaptation," or "rendition" from the above, sounds like what you  are
looking for.
However, keep in mind that even a translation, or at least, a good one,
requires a certain amount of skill beyond strict word-for-word rendering.   For
example, if an idiom is used, the good translator finds an idiom that has a
similar meaning, but is not a strict translation.

And thanks for the reference to the online thesaurus--a good site to know
about.

And reminds me, REALLY OT, of the (I think) Steve Wright question, "What's
another word for thesaurus?"

Ann Wass