At 07:35 AM 8/19/2005, you wrote:
[snip]

A question - should linen rip in the same way that you can rip cotton from selvedge to selvedge/along the grain? If it should, does the fact that some linen doesn't indicate that it isn't qood quality linen?

Yours in curiousity,
Joannah in Brisbane, Australia

When I cut linen, I draw a thread out and cut along the space. I must admit that I have not tried to tear linen since linen is much stronger than cotton. Given than the flax fibers in good linen are rather long (several inches) and strong, I wouldn't want to try to tear the actual fibers; cotton fibers are very short (long-staple cotton is only 1-1/2 to 2 inches) and when you tear cotton cloth, you actually pull the fibers apart rather than rip them.

Joan Jurancich
[EMAIL PROTECTED]