I agree with Robin on the duplicating period techniques (or getting as close as possible) is usually the best way to duplicate a period result. Modern techniques are usually the result of technological process evolution, and may come up with a result that is often easier to learn, or looks "better", but may not look correct to the trained eye.

That being said, my hand sewn gores suck (ok, *I* think they suck). I prefer the pointy gores because it's my personal opinion (based on ZERO objective or statistical evidence) that they were more common. And I'll keep doing them that way until I get them right :) My major problem is getting some sort of seam allowance on the body piece, but not the gore. What this means is that I either wind up with a stress gap at the point, or compression wrinkles (both of which I expect are prefectly period, but are ideally wrong).

The most successful garment I've done with this, I rolled the edge of the seam up to the point before inserting the gore, and then whip stitching the seam - which I'm pretty sure is not period for this garment.

Any suggestions?

Marc