I was looking at the way certain eras of fashion are associated with an area, which is different than what people were actually wearing. It's not the reality, it's what we perceive based on movies, popular culture, etc.

Hippies were everywhere, but now identified with Berkeley. Black hats with buckles on them were not the fashion at Plymouth, Mass, but they're all over the souvenir shops.

I'm imagining a "what city is this" sort of thing based on the historic costume icons.

     -Carol

I disagree. For every extant pastel colored ballgown *documented* to the South, I can show you one documented to the North, or the Midwest, or the West, or Canada, or Europe. And I can do the same for every "buttoned up" dress documented to the North or any other region of the country. There are some regional differences in style, but they are minor elements of the overall fashion and stem more frequently from local customs and availability than a "if this is pale pink it must be Mississippi" trend.

One of the most stunning original dresses I've seen is in the collection of the Cincinnati Art Museum: a bright sapphire blue silk taffeta woven a disposition, originally from Gettysburg, PA.

Carolann Schmitt, Life-long Gettysburgian
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
www.genteelarts.com
Ladies and Gentlemen of the 1860s Conference, March 2-5, 2006