Kayta said,
Berkeley, CA, and the 1960s. You see aging Hippies, and ones whose parents were barely born in the 1960s, on the streets in Berkeley, CA, even today.

I have an "ageing" hippie next door who just turned 40. :-) Do you think, though, that the hippie styles in Berkeley are only due to the area, or because kids like the style again? Maybe a bit of both? I agree, though that the hippie look says Berkeley or Haight Ashbury. (Is that in Berkeley?) Or Woodstock, which is not close at all. :-)

Haight Ashbury (or "the Haight") is the name of the area around the intersection of Haight Street and Ashbury Street in San Francisco. In my sartorial opinion, people today are more likely to wear Hippie clothes in Berkeley than in San Francisco, even people too young to have been Hippies the first time. In the San Francisco Bay Area, Hippie clothes say Berkeley rather than San Francisco, to the locals.

The Haight Ashbury neighborhood has moved on beyond Hippie things, mostly, and is a mixture of gentrification and modern street kids. A mile downhill on Haight Street ("the Lower Haight"), things are more Hippie-like and more young-artist driven. Telegraph Avenue in Berkeley, a street dead-ending at the U.C.Berkeley campus, is another mix of gentrification and modern young people, but there's a daily street fair of sidewalk crafts booths that adds a distinct Hippie flavor to the area. More than one of these booths sells tie-dye shirts and other tie-dye items. A few sell bead jewelry.

       CarolynKayta Barrows
dollmaker, fibre artist, textillian
         www.FunStuft.com

             //// \\\