> I'm just not sure what I need to do to bring my red to orange or rust
> color without killing the silk.
>
> or would I be better off switching to a new color scheme, like the red
> and black?  I can do that, I was just hoping to stay as close to the
> original painting as possible.

I don't know if you work with Rit dye much but overdyeing your silk with
yellow dye should give you an orange.  Now if your red silk is very dark
red, you will not get the nice medium orange/rust that the painting shows.
 But if it is a basic red, you may have some luck just by adding the
yellow.

You could also try a natural yellow dye, too.  It would be much more
involved but it might be fun to try!

Hope that helps,

Diana

www.RenaissanceFabrics.net