Hi all

I'm unable to track down an online copy of Mr
Starkey's article in the British TV paper Radio Times,
so thought it would be useful to give more info on
what he actually wrote.

He was flown over to Lithuania to watch filming - he's
a nippy sweety historian who is pretty good at
lecturing to camera, but nothing like the class of
Kenneth Clark - and raves on about the 1/3 and full
scale reproductions of Whitehall Palace constructed
with guidance from Simon Thurley, head of English
Heritage and ' "the" great expert on Tudor palaces'
after pointing out they film in Lithuania because it's
cheap.  Then we get onto costume.

"Where I think this film is really going to score,
though, is in the attention to costume. This is not
the usual Hollywood version of the Tudors, not the
standard stuff.  In the 16th century, costume wasn't
as we take it for granted now. In, say, a dress, the
sleeves were separate, the skirt was separate and the
whole thing was held together by a series of ties or
aglets (a type of super-safety pin of gold and
silver). I asked to watch the actors being dressed,
and the textures, the colours and the shapes were all
extremely well done; several costumes were entirely
authentic."

The period of Elizabeth's life is covered (from Armada
to death) next and praises the writing, saying it is a
formal style without the "horrors of" prithee and
forsooth, before detailing the process of hanging,
drawing and quartering which we will get to see in
full. Yay.

There is also a little box called "Spot the Deliberate
Mistake: David Starkey explains why, sometimes,
artistic license is better for drama than
authenticity..."  He points out that even shakespeare
messed about with facts for the purpose of his drama
and concludes "This drama is particularly dangerous
because it will look so real". We also have Elizabeth
meeting Queen Mary (of Scotland) and King James VI/I,
her successor, people sitting and wearing hats in the
royal presence and Elizabeth comforting Leicester as
he dies (although who could resist an ailing Mr
Irons?).

All in all I think the article and perhaps the
programme will be a mixed bag - I will be keen to see
the rest of the costumes, designed by Mike O'Neill
(who did Prime Suspect, David Copperfield (1999),
Charles II (2004?), Our Mutual Friend, Daniel Deronda
and North and South. Obviously the BBC period person
du jour.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/drama/charles/backstage/costume_designer.shtml
gives some insight into his process. Mr O'Neill is
shown looking at a short bejwelled bodice 'bought in
Rome' for Helen Mirren. Mr Starkey was also very
impressed with his research (photograph of large white
folder).

I'm not knowledgeable enough to spot the small things
but I'd be delighted if someone could give me examples
of a princess seam on an Elizabethan bodice - it
shouts to me of inappropriate corseting, my pet peeve.

HTH,
Katherine, who's sure the show will migrate to our
American cousins quite soon.