On Thursday 22 September 2005 4:29 pm, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> In a message dated 9/22/2005 1:05:17 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
>
> One of  my costuming friends commented about the film "Elizabeth" that the
> film's  website actually said that the director _forbid_ the costumers to
> consult  historic sources for costume, because he wanted "a fresh vision."
> The amusing  thing, my friend said, is that the director clearly didn't
> know enough about  the period portraits to spot when the costumers _did_
> lift something straight  out of a well-known historical source :)

That's interesting--and sad too.

But it certainly explains what I found to be so strange about the movie.  I
was puzzled by the fact that some of the gowns were quite historical in
design (though not necessarily period for the late 1550s, when Elizabeth
actually first took the throne) while others were only "historically
inspired", and still others looked like bad, distant imitations of historical
designs.  Your friend's comment explains the phenomenon quite well.

--
Cathy Raymond <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

"As a general rule, if end users want to smash something repeatedly
with a sledgehammer, that's a sign of bad UI."--Bram Cohen