Following on from what Jean said, what I find interesting is this.

(Background for anybody who doesn't re-enact in the UK...)
There are several American Civil War groups here, varying in size.  There is
also a group portraying the Spanish Civil War.

Lots of British men fought in both of these wars.

Anyway, the thing I find interesting is that everybody understands why Bitish
people want to remember the Spanish CW, but very few get why the ACW.

To get more back to the original question (ish) - I'm not sure of the where's
and why's, but there aren't very many 18th century re-enactors in the UK
either.
Medieval is by far the largest period re-enacted here at the moment (although
it's taken over from the English Civil Wars).