And there's the thing, Julie. You're managing the fabric, placement of
the "vicious hook" which is just big enough to get stuck on threads
while going back through the fabric, the thread (separate from the
hook) in your left hand, and the beads. that's what makes it so hard
for my brain. I can't juggle all those things at once. You're right
about the chain stitched on the wrong side of the fabric, which is
facing you. You have the thread and most of the beads on top of the
fabric and just the extra thread and some beads below while working.
You learn with practice to rotate the hook "just right" so it gets
through the fabric without catching, but it takes a bit of practice,
like crochet with a fish hook.

The size of the hook used is dependent on the weave of the ground
cloth. We used a really tiny hook while working on netting; we used a
larger one while working on linen and the largest size while working
on osnaburg. Contrary to logic, neither the larger hook nor the
smallest hook was easier to use. You know how one is taught to crochet
using a large hook with fat yarn; that logic doesn't help here.

i just reread what I wrote. Very negative. I had a terrible time with
tambour. I was only one person in a class of 8-10; most everyone else
managed to learn and enjoy the process. I only learned it.

LynnD