Does anyone know the name of some software that will take a photo and grid it for cross-stitch? I know there are people who will do this if you mail them the photo. But I wonder if they are doing this in some computer software or by hand.

Yes. I found several, and I liked the HobbyWare one best (http://www.hobbyware.com/). I downloaded a demo for free and played with it for a few days - all of the programs I found let me do that. But the HobbyWare one had more range of possibilities than the other ones did, and fewer limitations on my own fiber-artsy requirements. It's the only program I tried where I could save the things I did in demo mode (I saved in .jpg format instead of in their proprietary format). I liked the interface better even tho I will probably never use most of the things the program does. It also cost more than the other ones I found did.

There's also a thing called something like Trans Graph X which will allow you to do your own gridding manually. It's a set of different gauge grids printed on Mylar, which you put onto your image and go from there. I've had one of these since before I ever got a computer. It's great if you can use it, and was really cheap to buy.

You might also check with your local cross-stitch/needlepoint store. The owner of my local one says she has a favorite, and I suspect some of the kits she sells are a product of that program.

       CarolynKayta Barrows
dollmaker, fibre artist, textillian
         www.FunStuft.com

             //// \\\