From: "jessica lynn potter" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Historical Costume" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Friday, October 14, 2005 9:54 AM
Subject: Re: [h-cost] bodice design

hi hun
well i am reasonably good at needle craft, but have not ever made crinoline
ballgowns before, this dress is an 1860s day type dress, ,i wantto make
historic type dresses, but they do not have to be historically accurate down
to fine detail,s,
i want to make nice looking crinoline style dresses, especially the hugh
type crinoline,s.
bodice design is my failure  i have never made more than 3 in my life except
for modern bodices or blouses, and i have no idea as to a starting point.
i thought of using the polyester taffetta fabric, for the dress itself
im being a pain to you all with these question,s i know, sorry, but is there
anywhere where i can get patterns for bodices or complete dresses please
hugs
>jessica

OK so I'm guessing you're actually interested in the early to mid 1860s as
by the time you get to the end of the 1860s you're getting into the begining
of the bustle era rather than big crinolines. You might be interested in
Simplicity's range of 'civil war' patterns
http://www.simplicity.com/index.cfm?cat=4&type=19&sec=0&id=57&startrow=1
they take a couple of modern shortcuts where it doesn't show (like using
snaps to attach the collar instead of sewing it on and unpicking the
stitches when you want to wash it) but the overall details are pretty
accurate.
HTH
Elizabeth