In a message dated 10/17/2005 1:07:44 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

I  regularly make doublets for a rather large gentleman

I made two doublets for some guys about the size you mentioned [I called
them quadruplets....but I'm BAD!] Anyway, the draping idea is an excellent one
as everyone wears his weight in a different place. But instead of starting with
 just a piece of fabric to drape on the gentleman, I got a commercial vest
pattern in his size and used it as a start to get a doublet body shape. I added
 the high neck and  raised the bottom of the armseye a little...eliminated
any darts, put the shoulder seams back a little....y'know. I was using Janet
Arnold's book as a guide. Then I followed the measurements taken from the man
to  get the pattern as close as possible. TAKE A COMPLETE SET OF
MEASUREMENTS!!!!  You'll need ones like shoulder length, chest front, across
back, Neck to
waist  CB and CF....all those things. Then make up a muslin of what you come up
 with and fit it on him. Cut it with ample seam allowances.

I made mine with the period detail of no underarm seam....the front wrapped
around to the side back. I DON'T recommend this. Makes it hard to fit on a
large  man. I did put some boning and canvas down the front though. That was
helpful in  making it look good. My CF closing curved too, just like in some
real
doublets.