Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2005 21:16:04 -0400
From: "Shane & Sheridan"
Subject: Re: [h-cost] Was carpet sweeper, now dog hair
To: "Historical Costume"

> At 1:50 PM -0700 10/18/05, Cynthia J Ley wrote:
> >I haven't yet, but a friend of mine who is a spinner did. Made some very
> >successful yarn from it too. She said it didn't need blending because it
> >already had a nice twist in it and made a fairly strong yarn.
>
> When I was actively spinning, I was asked if I'd take a commission
> from a local afghan (hound) club to make an "afghan afghan." I
> thought it was a cute idea but didn't have the time.
>
> I believe there's also a book on using dog hair in weaving -- IIRC
> it's titled or subtitled (yes really) "From Woof to Warp."
>
> I suppose the temptation was irresistible, really....
> --

For some dog owners the temptation is more a survival reaction. :-)
My uncle raises Alaskan Malamutes, and often puppy-sits for other Mala-mutt
owners. He has had up to 25 dogs at his acreage at one time. That's a LOT of
dog fluff! My Malamutt every spring would shed a garbage bag's worth of soft
undercoat, her favorite thing was to sit with me outside and let me pull
handfuls of the stuff off of her - much easier than trying to scratch it off
herself I'm sure. A friend of my uncle's would come and collect the fluff
from him and other Malamute and Samoyed owners then spin and knit the
colletion every year, she made a nice bit of money at the season's dog
shows selling the results. Softer than you might think, and very warm. :-)

Sheridan
(missing my dog now...)

Message: 9