The Victorians liked "fancy braids" to make tape laces, and lacy crocheted, knitted, and tatted constructions. That's the sort of thing rickrack and its variants (in terms of the depth and pointiness of the "waves") seem to have been made for originally. I have seen a few original garments dating from circa 1880 to circa 1910 with areas of rackrack lace (yokes, cuffs, whole bodices, wide hem trims) that did not include any fancy stitches, but which merely had rickrack sewn in patterns, held with ordinary (hand) whipstitches at the points. I have an 1880s dress with rickrack wide cuffs and I think some other sections somewhere in my collection, but I can't find it. The rickrack was coiled into small circular medallions, and then the medallions were sewn together. I've also seen it sewn together in straight designs. It's really quite effective. People who expect rickrack to be just a few rows machine sewed on a child's dress don't recognize the rickrack in rickrack work for what it is.

There are obvious geometric possibilities for small square medallions, straight horizontal or vertical rows, square medallions, and so on. I'd like to find some original Victorian and Edwardian patterns though. I mail ordered a 1910s rickrack pattern booklet from a used bookseller yesterday but I don't know what's in it yet.

BTW, all the examples I've seen so far were white and were on "lingerie" type dresses or wrappers.
Fran
Lavolta Press
http://www.lavoltapress.com

Carolyn Kayta Barrows wrote:

I don't remember it in either my facsimile of Mrs. Beeton, or Therese de Dillmont.

Wave braid crocheted together is really big in the 1880s, after Mrs. Beeton's and M. Dillmont's time. Start looking for it then.

       CarolynKayta Barrows
dollmaker, fibre artist, textillian
         www.FunStuft.com

             //// \\\