To: "Historical Costume" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Monday, October 24, 2005 4:38 AM
Subject: [h-cost] First Regency

A couple of months ago I had questions about constructing my first early-19th century gown. So many of you were very helpful--many thanks! The corset went well, as did the petticoat and shift. I wore the gown to my first English Country Dance ball.

Here's a pic:

http://www.uvm.edu/~hag/ballgown.jpg

Here's what I like/don't like/plan to do differently next time:
1) Fabric: I always tell myself not to get sucked in to fabrics that aren't authentic looking just because you liek them. I didn't heed myself this time: I absolutely fell in love with the fabric. It's an embroidered sheer. The colors/pattern would do better for an early 20thc entury dress, but I couldn't resist. sigh. 2) The underdress/lining is a pale green silk shantung. Shantung wasn't my first choice, but it was on super sale at fashionfabrics and I thought for a first attempt I'd better mind the budget. 3) The sleeves are a variation of a gown in the McCord museum. The petals are a bit ballet-costume maybe. 4) The pattern is basically from Nancy Bradfield's "Costume in Detail" gown from 1823, drawn on p. 119. 5) In the pic I drew in the neckline ribbon a bit too tightly in the front. Should be worn with the neckline wider.

But generally, I'm pretty happy with it! I also made a white day gown that's a much closer replica of an 1815 gown in Bradfield but no pics yet.

Comments that would be helpful for the next attempt would be welcome!

Next up: for the holidays, another ball gown, probably a taffeta, late teens-early 20's, solid color with piping details.

- Hope