I'm looking for some basic suggestions. I have a really great pair of what look like 18th century breeches - I say "look like" since there are some minor details that were left out in the construction (like pockets). When my wife made them, she made them from a nice heavy linen, and they fit great. They do all the shifting and such needed so I can squat and sit comfortably and even wrap my knees behind my head without them binding (assuming I could actually *get* my knees behind my head...) My problem is that as the linen warms up, it loosesn up a bit, and I can't tie them tightly enough to actually stay on (which can be somewhat embarassing).

I'm assuming that something needs to be done to the waistband area to keep them up, but what? I may have to go with the suspenders idea, which is possible for that period, but I'd like to resove the problem really since I don't know what late 19th century suspenders look like.

Thoughts?

Marc