----- Original Message ----- From: "Robin Netherton" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Historical Costume" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Friday, November 04, 2005 9:36 AM
Subject: Re: [h-cost] embroidery supplies

You got off easy ;-)  I shop the sale stuff once or twice a year, when
there's enough to make a big order. I made an order last week; it came to
$450.

(Well, when you're at 90 strands or so, it makes sense to go for the even
hundred and the 10 percent discount.)

This is because I know I will return half for inadequate quality. I have
learned how to work with their return policy! Of course, half of 100
strands is still 50 strands...

They're by no means my favorite vendor. My favorite is South Pacific.

I actually felt guilty spending that much--we are on a VERY tight budget, which is going to get tighter, since we just were told that we need to be out of our house within 30-60 days. (No, we didn;t do anything wrong. The house is owned by a mall company, and they are going to demolish it to put up a sign.) And my husband found out Monday that the radio station he works at was just sold to Cumulus. So, I think my fabric and gem buying is going to be severely limited for a while! (Thanks heavens I just indulged my wool yearnings recently!) Anyhoo, I considered just passing on the girdle for now, but I've been wanting one for a long time, and I plan on entering this one in the East Kingdom A&S comp at 12th Night, so I need plenty of time to get it done!!

I haven't ordered from South Pacific yet, though I drool copiously over their catalogs.

Just waiting for the mailman to come to the door...

I was so good, and so focused--I wanted to make garb, and only garb. Then I made friends with a jeweler, and a spinner. Now I want to make the jewelry for all my garb, and spin and weave the wool, and use handspun silk as laces for my gowns..ACK!

Dianne