Sorry, the source makes it obvious that they know knit from crochet.. and that they make it clear that they are talking about two different techniques. This is the NESAT (Northern European Society of Archaeological Textiles). This is a peer reviewed scholarly journal... they are extremely well versed in textiles.

Glad to know they know. It didn't sound like they knew, to me, from just your snippet.

"Crochet" is generally considered a 19th century technique, but I have not found anything creditable on it's early evolution... just speculation.

And there are no extant examples before then either, so it all has to be speculation.

       CarolynKayta Barrows
dollmaker, fibre artist, textillian
         www.FunStuft.com

             //// \\\