On Nov 19, 2005, at 7:05 AM, Bonnie Booker wrote:

Bonnie mentioned:

...thousands of "hooks and crochets" listed in the inventory of the
belongings of Queen Mary I of England when returning to the court of her
father, King Henry VIII.

Yes, but from the surviving specimens and the way they are described in the inventories, these are clearly "dress hooks" (imagine the hook part of giant hook-and-eye fasteners). They have a semi-circular open hook, less than 1 inch of shaft, and end with a flat plate pierced with holes for
sewing onto the garment. They would be impossible to use as tools.

(I think this is Bonnie again, despite the quote-layering)

I differ with you, but not being able to time travel, neither of us can present definitive proof. There is clearly lace on the collars, cuffs, and headpieces of the time. Also what looks to be lace on the passements that
time and before. It may or may not be. This does not pass away the
"crochets" part of the listing nor why it is listed in conjunction with the hooks. Some people have also said it is buttoning hooks. Crochets could be anything from heavy yarns for bedhangings to decorative fine lace. There was also mentions of Elizabeth being fond of her fine chain headpieces. Again, may or may not be. There is no conclusive evidence either way. It seems to
be too much circumstansal evidence to say nay.

Keep in mind that the word "crochet" originally simply means "hook" -- before the use of the word for a specific type of thread-work, the phrase "hooks and crochets" would simply mean "hooks, and hooks-by- another-name". There's no historic context for considering that the phrase in a 16th c. document can only mean "hooks and threadwork made with a hook".

Heather

--
Heather Rose Jones
[EMAIL PROTECTED]