Bjarne-
While I use my light box primarily working on paper, I have also used it to transfer designs to cloth when making banners, small theatre drops, and wall hangings. The last time I used it on fabric, the 8W fluorescent lamp inside was able to make the design easily seen through heavy white cotton duck and colored felt. Mine is 24x30", and for larger projects, you just set up a grid and do it section by section. You may not need anything that large, and there are some small ones currently available in the craft departments that have the same wattage, and are available for less than $50US. Alternatively, you can use a sheet of glass or perspex propped up over a small under-the-counter kitchen kitchen fluorescent light, which costs about $13US. (Before I had a light box, I used to work on a glass-topped table with a desk lamp underneath it.) Used X-ray readers also work, and you might be able to find a used one cheaply.
It's a wonderful thing to have, and makes a lot of work so much easier.
                     -Helen/Aidan