Robin wrote:
What is a sewing bird?

They're also known as sewing clamps or "third hands". They go back at least as far as the 18th c. in the west and also turn up in traditional Japanese sewing. It's a clamp which is attached to a stationery object, like a table. The clamp holds one end of your sewing, while you hold the other end taut with your non-stitching hand. You get some tension control and it speeds up the hand-sewing. There are some incredibly fanciful antique ones out there, a lot of which look like birds- hence the name, I guess. I have a couple of modern ones made by Clover- they came from Clotilde.
http://www.clotilde.com/cl/product_group.asp?listtype=search&searchterm=third+hand&dept_name=Search+Result%3A+third+hand&g_id=146919
I that URL doesn't work for you, just go to Clotilde and look up "third hand".

                     -Helen/Aidan