If you want to drop around, I've got quite a few books on 18C costumes with patterns - have a look and you might then be able to recommend some to your friend - I've got Fitting and Proper and Costume in Detail and more but forgotten their names. As for patterns, I like Millfarm patterns, have used Period Impressions and others. Can show you them as well. And- you can see the fabric I've finally chosen for my elizabethan - but I may start making that tonight. Itchy fingers - just been swimming at Casuarina Sands and feel nice and fresh after today's heat.
Cheers, Aylwen Garden

Elizabeth Walpole wrote:

Merry Christmas and Happy New year to everyone,
A freind of mine has just gotten engaged (3 days ago) and has decided she wants to base her wedding gown on an 18th century Robe à l' Anglaise (I think her main source of inspiration is Pirates of the Carribean) she doesn't really want an authentic reproduction but she asked me to recommend some books to help her work out how to do it. So far I've suggested Jean Hunnisett's _Period_Costume_for_Stage_&_Screen_1500-1800_ Janet Arnold's _Patterns_of_Fashion_1_ (1660-1860) As I've used both of these books in the past (although not for this era) but is there another source you would recommend, keeping in mind that she doesn't really want an authentic reproduction and her sewing skills are still fairly basic (I can't help her hands on as she lives in another city but she's got SCA friends there who can help her if her skills aren't up to it). Pattern suggestions are also welcome, I don't know how authentic she wants this dress to be but I'd like to show her that there is an alternative to the butterick patterns with princess seams. Also is there a good collection of images from this period other than www.marquise.de ? I haven't got around to making anything 18th century (yet) so my research on that era has barely advanced past skimming over that section of Patterns of Fashion on my way to another era.
thanks
Elizabeth
P.S. on the topic of holliday gifts, I got Henry V (the version with Kenneth Branagh) and Sense and Sensibility (the version with Emma Thompson) on DVD but nothing specifically for costume making.