At 07:25 PM 1/8/2006, you wrote:
Costume related viewing,

Anyone catch the "Madness of Henry VIII"?
The title seemed dubious, but I thought I would check it out anyway. (It
just started on the National Geographic channel for those interested)
So far it appears to be a standard documentary, with just a sensational
title.  In the short bit I have seen, costumes superficially seem okay.  And
the history is correct so far (although we are still on Catherine).
Its not my focus period and I haven't seen much yet.  I'll have to keep
watching to see how the program turns out.

Kaitlin

OPINION ALERT!
Well, I watched it tonight - I thought the women's costuming was 10x worse than the men's (as usual) with rather odd headdresses in particular. In my opinion it greatly resembled the 19th century view of the 16th century - it was to Henry and his wives what many in the 19th century thought of "poor Mary Queen of Scots" and "the evil Queen Elizabeth" - their ideas (not mine!!!!). I found it to be rather tabloid feeling in its approach to the entire thing, and while strictly correct in facts, attributed a lot of emotions that I think they would be hard pressed to document. Catherine of Aragon came across as the wronged noble, almost saintly queen, and they stated outright that Henry went mad as he got older! Anyway, it was an interesting counterpoint to Starkey's account and worth watching once.

Cheers,
Danielle