Have you considered doing a "cut and sewn" stocking?

 I have used the pattern from Kanniks Korner (www.kannikskorner.com  #KK-6001
"Stockings, Pockets, Mitts) with great success using both cotton and wool knit
fabric. I've not yet found an appropriate silk knit fabric, however, this fall
when unpacking my winter clothes, I had an "Aha!!" moment - and am considering
utilizing the fabric in a pair of silk long johns; they are not quite a pure
white, but pretty close.

By doing some simple customizing of the pattern, you can have perfectly fitting
stockings; no more baggy ankles or heels half way up the calf. An example can
be seen on website at www.backwardglances.net under Civil War items.

(See Carolann - your class has stuck with me!!! And I have accumulated a great
deal of supporting documentation that this type of stockings is by far the most
common for our time period)

And of course, you could do some fabulous clockwork before assembling them.

Kelly Dorman
Backward Glances
www.backwardglances.net