Message: 3
> Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2006 19:11:46 -0600
> From: "E House" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Subject: [h-cost] linen burn test & other tests
> To: "Historical Costume" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>
> <mucho snippage>
> Any ideas?  Any other tests I could throw at it?  (I have no microscope,
> btw.) I'd really love for this stuff to be linen, but since it just plain
> looks so un-linen-like I have to be as sure as I possibly can be before
> I'll
> use it AS linen!  I'm used to being able to pick out linen just by looking
> and touching; this is frustrating!
>
> -E House

I use the 'washing machine test'. It's not scientific, but it's helpful for
me. Put your linen and some fabric that you know cotton (about the same
weight/weave) in the washer. After running it through a cycle, pull and tug
both fabrics. Linen is stronger when wet, cotton is weaker when wet. You
should be able to tell if there's a difference. --
Joyce