I like to make wool bias tape from something densely woven, then use it, with a facing of polished cotton for the hem...since polished cotton is difficult to get around here, sometimes I use wacky printed quilters cotton.

First off, you make the hem facing, if your skirt is shaped, it will need to be shaped too...mine are usually cut from straight panels. I stitch it, wrong sides together, around the bottom of the skirt, about 1/4" from the cut edge. I then fold under the top edge of the cotton 1/4" and stitch it down, using a running stitch. Then you make the bias tape, I use about 1" widths. I fold and press it in half, lengthwise. Then encase the cut edges of the hem and stitch it down.

In the late Rennaisance they used anything from Linen to polished wool to face their hems, women in the Victorian era were still facing hems. It makes sense as the facing is usually made of cheaper fabric, takes the abuse, and can be replaced often.

When I worked at the Halifax Citadel, a Victorian era Fort, the dresses on the soldier's wives took a lot of abuse, hem facings would last three or four years, hem tapes would last two to three years.

Hope that helps a bit...
Kelly/estela
5. Is there a way to sew a prectector fabric for the lower hem for when it drags on the ground?