I searched for rosary and found "paternoster with medieval clothing". from this, I found this image that is very similar to the one in your portrait.
http://paternosters.home.igc.org/

----- Original Message ----- From: "Chris Laning" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Historical Costume" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Saturday, January 21, 2006 9:54 PM
Subject: [h-cost] Mystery Hands

I've been pondering this detail of a painting for quite some time:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/[EMAIL PROTECTED]/86215971/

Where I found it is on the cover of a book, _500 Jahre Rosenkranz_, the catalog of a 1975 exhibition in Cologne, Germany, marking the 500th anniversary of the "modern" rosary.

Unfortunately the book is in German, which is a language I can plod through, but not skim. I've looked in the obvious (to me) places where the cover picture's source might be mentioned (title pages, last pages, etc.) with no luck. Can anyone help me identify the painting?

It seems likely from the context (and from what's visible in the picture) that this is a woman, possibly the Virgin Mary or a saint. This looks to me like "Biblical" or "exotic" clothing rather than what normal people actually wore. If so, this is less likely to be a "donor portrait" in the corner of a painting (since they're usually painted in "ordinary" clothes) and more likely to be one of the main subjects.

Does this look familiar to anyone?

I've discussed the reasons why I'd like to identify this painting here:
http://paternosters.blogspot.com/2005/06/more-mystery-hands.html
(besides just plain curiosity, that is!)