I did wool looped pile work for a Christmas stocking for my daughter. I had
never done it before and was pleasantly surprised at how fast and easy it
was.

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of otsisto
Sent: Monday, January 23, 2006 3:34 AM
To: Historical Costume
Subject: [h-cost] Valois dress diary

http://www.vertetsable.com/diaries_redbrocade.htm#sketch

http://www.songsmyth.com/1560frenchkirtle.html

I love this picture. It gives me a larger picture of the "embroidery" The
scrolled leaves overlap.
http://www.songsmyth.com/1560french/valoisforepartcloseup.jpg
Does the forepart have textured material or are those pearls? The edge of
the gowns opening in the full portraits online gave me the impression that
it was edged in pearls. Now I am not sure. Either Coello was loose in his
rendition of the embroidery or the embroiderers were not consistent.