At 20:01 26/01/2006, you wrote:
Thanks so much. I haven't seen that one before, and, yes, it surely does look like Eleanora.

In 1999 I went to London with some friends. While there we attended a Study Day at the V&A. It was originally intended to be lead by Janet Arnold, but she had passed away the previous autumn. So it turned into a kind of rememberance of her.

Anyway, one of the curators from the Tate said that she was working gathering images of pregnant ladies for (I believe) a book. I'm pretty sure that it wasn't an exhibition.

Has anyone heard or seen anything about this?

Just curious.

And thanks again, Susan.

With regards,
kate

PS: Does anyone know if there is a publication date for Janet Arnold's book on underwear? That was one other thing that was discussed that day.

I have not heard of a book specifically on pregnant fashion. I try to get updates from various friends of Janet's in the Museum world, and so far no-one has a sniff of a date. There were two books at the 4th draft stage, according to Janet, before she died, one of which was the underwear book. The other was kind of filling the gap between 1620 and 1660, she told me, but with all the other stuff from earlier that she had found since writing the other books. Her literary executors are writers and lecturers in their own right, and presumably don't have time to spend on her books as they might wish.

I will ask again after this weekend, when I will have 4 Tudor dresses being worn (not finished - I need the three weeks they brought the deadline forward by to do that), but wearable - thank God for theatre training!!

Suzi