Sharon wrote:
PS ObCostume: Is the notion I have that Woolworth who started Woolworth's was a clothing designer a figment of some historical romance I read, or is there any basis in fact -- even if twisted fact?

F W Woolworth's was started in the US by Charles and Frank Woolworth, who merged a bunch of five-and-dime stores at the turn of the century (the last one). They were just your basic small-town businessmen, nothing so romantic as a fashion designer. That company founded Woolworths Ltd in the UK and the Commonwealth countries shortly thereafter, and from what I've heard, the focus of the merchandise is slightly different than what was usually found in Woolworth's here in the US. Woolworth's closed down here about 20 years ago. They tried to compete at the Kmart level with the Woolco experiment, but that's also gone here in the US. The Canadian Woolco's were bought out by Walmart. -Helen/Aidan