Try "Lacis", in Berkeley, Calif. For boning.
www.lacis.com

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Monday, January 30, 2006 12:48 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: [h-cost] Re:18c

> I'd really like to have a more authentic pair of stays before
> starting a second outfit.  I've been thinking about trying to
> draft my own pattern - but haven't been really sure where to
> start.  The other question, is whether to use the plastic
> boning, or go the metal route... and then which type...
> and how does one get the right sizes?  Tin-snips?  I've
> already purchased a yard of duck-cloth, and a couple of yards
> of cotton twill in white and red.

I'd recommend against the plastic route. At least against the plastic boning
you can get at JoAnn's -- I'm pretty curvy and have had two types of trouble
with the plastic stuff: (1) in the heat of wearing it (and possibly lacing
tight enough so my chest stays put - I have about a 10" difference between
ribcage and bust line - almost entirely in the front - the plastic "melts"
into my curvy shape, rather then making me nicely tubular. (2) The ends of
the plastic tweak and buckle something' awful (and they _hurt_ when they do
it, too!).

I've used the metal boning and bought sized-to-fit. Which is not the
cheapest route, by a long shot but it is easy. Reed is also do-able, much
cheaper and doesn't require fancy tools. You can get some from Saundra Ros
Altman's Past Patterns - I got mine for this
http://www.pastpatterns.com/030.html pattern kit, but I believe she sells
them separately. I'm told you can get other size/shapes of reeds via basket
weaving supply stores, but I haven't looked into that much yet.
        Good luck!
                -sunny