Hi Mia,

The petticoat is cotton, but with a nice sateen to it. I thought it would
at least imitate the look of silk to a certain extent.

I'd really like to have a more authentic pair of stays before starting a
second outfit. I've been thinking about trying to draft my own pattern -
but haven't been really sure where to start. The other question, is whether
to use the plastic boning, or go the metal route... and then which type...
and how does one get the right sizes? Tin-snips? I've already purchased a
yard of duck-cloth, and a couple of yards of cotton twill in white and red.

I'm just doing this to do it. I suppose I could use it for halloween next
year... although a couple people have suggested using it as a wedding
dress. I made my own dress for my first marriage, so I've been trying to
avoid thinking about the possibility of making another one... although I do
have about 10 yards of some gorgeous white cotton damask. Hmmm... a
sacque? I suppose, once I get more comfortable making several items, I may
risk making something out of silk... but until then, I'll stick with what's
affordable.

Kristin

  Oh stays..., I've done several, but since I'm an active reenactor, and trying
to progress to a more authentic reenactor, my solutions, might not be your
solutions.
  Like I said, the butterick pattern seems to be good, especially for 3rd
quarter or so 18th c. Making 18c stays is not as hard as one might think.  just
somewhat time consuming.  And I always have challenges with the fit. For the
stays I've done I've,
  1.  used the J.P Ryan patterns (very nice- and gives that good ice cream cone
shape.)  I used metal and cable ties and that stringy box binding stuff that is
almost like whale bone...this is not a good description, but I really don't
know how to do better.  These were really nice.
  2.  used the later 18c pattern from Hunnicut,  and blew it up on a copy
machine.  these were nice too.  I used basket cane and metal bones at the
stress points.  These were nice too
  3.  Back to JP Ryan for the pattern, bound in leather, wool covered, fully
boned, cable ties and metal in stress points, cane everywhere else.  They are
really beautiful.
  3.  on the table to do now.  the butterick pattern, cut out in linen, will be
halfboned with ?

  All done on the machine

  For me basket caning works, but i am frequently out in the heat of a North
Carolina Summer.  Anything Plastic just doesn't breathe enough for me.  I've
never had a piece of cane break.  and boy does it support!!

  Choice of patterns ...JP Ryan is good, the butterick is good.  I don't have
the skills to draft one from scratch and have it come out looking like I want
it to.

  Again all these choices are based on where you are wearing it, and what you
want it for.  Costume and just for fun has different needs than reenactor and
museum work.

  18c Mia in Charlotte, NC  where there is no sign of winter.  Boy i'm not
looking forward to another hot summer... gotta get those linen stays done.