Hello again!

As I said earlier, I don't actually know of a book on the "history of
fastenings", and I haven't specifically researched the questions you ask, but I
am chronically unable to stick to one outfit/time-period in my costuming, so
here's an overview of what I've picked up about the subject:

I haven't done much research before the 1400s so I can't talk about anything
before then, however in the _Museum of London: Clothing and Textiles_ book it
shows fabric buttons on the sleeves of the gothic fitted dresses (usually
referred to as cotehardies in the SCA). The book has enough instructions for
how to make the fabric buttons, that I have done so based simply on that book.
Somewhere I read that metal buttons could/were used on the front of the
over-dresses (but I can't come up with an extant example off the top of my
head) but that the buttons were so expensive that sometimes people would not
attach the metal buttons but instead lace the buttons onto the dress via holes
such as for lacing up the front of the dress. Unfortunately I can't remember
_where_ I read this so I have no idea how reliable the source is. The _Museum
of London_ book also shows hand-made eyelets for lacing down the front closure
of the gothic fitted dress. I'm sure Robin has many more sources fo!
 r this period then I do :-)

Italian Rennisance (~1480-1530) seems to be mostly lacing for women's dresses
(both front/side openings and sleeves) based off of Elizabeth Birbari's _Dress
in Italian Painting: 1460-1500_ and Jen Thompson's research
http://homepage.mac.com/festive_attyre/research/flornotes/flornotes.html .
Sometimes the buttons were laced though decorative metal eyelet-things
(http://homepage.mac.com/festive_attyre/research/earlyflor/3flor5.html) rather
then thread bound eyelet holes. Occasionally the paintings use gold coloring
for the eyelet holes which suggests metal eyelets, however I don't think there
are any extant, and metal eyelets were first patented somewhere in the 1825-40
range (and don't come into use for corsets until then).

Hooks and eyes were used extensively in the dresses Janet Arnold studied in the
late 1500s, and I seem to remember a picture from the late-1400s early-1500s
showing hook and eyes at the neck. I'm sure it's been discussed on this list
before, but I'm not coming up with any web links to it. The hooks and eyes look
very similar to modern hooks and eyes, though a bit heavier to my eye. Many of
the buttons in the dresses Arnold studies are thread covered -- there is a
description for how to do it: http://www.vertetsable.com/demos_buttons.htm I
have not used these instructions myself, but a friend did. She said they took
~20 minutes per button to make. And lacing is still used to close some bodices
(e.g. the Elenore de Toledo burial dress).

At Costume College 2003 there was a class on Medieval and Rennisance
fastenings, which was fascinating, but there were neither handouts, nor can I
find a reference to it on-line, so I can't tell you who the teacher was...Not
very helpful, I know!

Fastenings for women's regency dress are predominantly drawstrings, pins and
some buttons. The drawers (if worn) are tied together, the chemise has a
drawstring (in what little info I could find for chemises), there aren't many
extant petticoat/under dress things, but the one c1825 in _History of
Underclothes_ by the Cunningtons' buttons together. All three closure methods
can be seen on the outer dress, plus frogs for women's coats. My extant 1824
bodice has both a drawstring around the neck and buttons down the back.

Fastenings for women's Victorian (1860s and 1870s) dress uses hooks and eyes
far more then you would expect (there are times when the bodice closure is
hooks and eyes but the bodice has buttons sewn on for decoration).  However you
do see back lacing for some ball gowns, and occasionally front lacing for
dinner dresses, but most closures are center front and either hooks and eyes or
buttons. The one petticoat I have from this period has both a drawstring and a
button (however I'm not 100% convinced that the drawstring wasn't added later -
I am suspicious that the petticoat was used in a theatre production...).
Chemises may have no closure, or may be buttoned. I can't remember about
drawers...

Gibson Girl (1890s) through teens (based on my small collection of vintage
women's garments) uses both hooks and eyes and snaps on the dresses. Buttons
seem to be mostly decorative, though I do not own a tailored suit from that
period, and I would guess those used button closures. FYI, there are many books
that cover buttons in this time period, as they were a decorative element. I
have 2 petticoats from this period, both have drawstring waists. The corset
cover I have has a button front, and the butt-pad I have has ties for around
the waist.

Hope that helps!
        -sunny

P.S. I do not know when buttons + loops were used -- all button references here
are to buttons and buttonholes.