From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Friday, February 10, 2006 7:11 PM
To: h-costume@mail.indra.com
Subject: [h-cost] fine drawing samples

I don't know if this helps with the definition you're looking for or not,
but here are two samples of "fine drawing" from Woolman's "Sewing Course,"
c1900, where it's used to patch damask. It was also used on heavy cloth as
the stitches could be hidden in the material. It's different from seaming,
but it does join two pieces butted together without overlap the way seaming
does.

  http://www.hollisandbell.com/Cat7706/finedrawing01.jpg
  http://www.hollisandbell.com/Cat7706/finedrawing03.jpg

  The dotted piece is about 2.5 cm and the fringed one just over 3 cm.

  I have a brief description and illustration of it in my book, "Plain
Needlework - A Guide to Nineteenth Century Hand Sewing."
http://hollisandbell.com/

  Melissa Roberts