Hi Rosecelin,

A good source of knit historians is the Historic Kint list. It's a Yahoogroup,
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/historicknit/

You didn't say what era you friend prefers - different people concentrate on different time periods, cultures, etc. There are a lot of great discussions.

And we have talked about crochet, too, and it's beginnings. I do 18th century and crochet is not around for that era, either.

     -Carol

Recently there was a discussion about the history of knitting. I didn't really pay to much attention to it since I do not knit. But a friend of mine is a knitter and wants to talk to anyone who does know the history of knitting. If you can help, would you please contact me privately so I can get my friend in contact with you.

Roscelin

By the way, please excuse this question if it has been discussed. When did crocheting come along? I was told long ago that it started after 1650 - Is this true? I've been trying to convince a few of my needlework students that it is out of period for our group.