*snip*
This sounds familiar! I have more shoes than any other man I know. Most of them cost at least $100, but none of those are suitable for daily wear! My regular shoes are cheap and I wear them untill I just can't get away with it anymore. Sometimes beyond that. People often dont recognize me out of costume because I dress well in period, but shabbily out! I actually have just started spending some money to amend that, but it is money that I have been forced to spend out of embarrassment.

I wonder how common this is on this list?

I'm betting that it's much more common than one would think. I know a number of folks whose period dress is better made and is a much higher fabric quality than what they wear in the modern world, myself included.

Since my illness last year, my "uniform" has been sweat pants/capris, tee shirts and tennis shoes. I've pretty much stopped doing my beloved Italian gowns and have opted for 14th century stuff since it's easier for me to manage. My hair is much shorter now (it started falling out 4 months after my hospital stay); it's been years since it's been this short and I can't do a thing with it! :-)

Most of the stuff that I've made recently is made of linen, linen/silk blend, wool, wool/silk blend. None of my modern clothing comes even close.

kate