On Mar 17, 2006, at 12:06 AM, Lena wrote:

--- Heather Rose Jones <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
<snip>

There's an even better example in Walter Map's "De
Nugis Curialium"
where he tells a story of a monk whose order
disdained underpants as
being too luxurious, so that when he took a tumble
in the street he
exposed his ... parts for all and sundry to see.
Walter gives the
moral of the story as something roughly equivalent
to "sometimes
discretion is the better part of asceticism".

Heather

Do you know where in De Nugis Curialium this story is?
I've been wanting to follow up this reference for
quite a while, but the book is reference only, and
rather thick, so I can't justify an entire photocopy.

In the 1983 Clarendon Press edition edited by M.R. James, I _think_ it's in the section numbered i.25 -- the problem is, the excerpt that I can find in my files at the moment is only bits and pieces with specifically Welsh reference. I think the item I'm remember about the Cisterians and underpants is the one starting at the bottom of page 101 of this edition, but since I'm missing the next page I can't confirm it. I really do need to take the trouble to track down my own copy. The problem is I'm holding out for a bilingual edition with facing page translation like the James edition, and I haven't run across one yet.

Heather

--
Heather Rose Jones
[EMAIL PROTECTED]