This picture was presented on another list as "proof" that drawstrings were
done. I disagree.
Note that the cording is thicker then the area where the cord is allegedly
to be going through.
The fact that the cording is black is the decorative side and the cord used
to close the opening makes it functional. There are a few pictures that show
multiple opening in a camicia.
http://realmofvenus.renaissancewoman.net/wardrobe/PortraitOfALady1530.jpg

The La Donna Velata painting does not show to me proof of drawstring.
This is not saying that it wasn't done but that the painting is not proof.

De