We still have that poison green dye--they soak wood in it to keep it free
from termites.
Sharon

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Bjarne og Leif Drews
Sent: Saturday, March 18, 2006 12:35 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: [h-cost] to dye for

Not a reply to the previous mail about books, but the head`er made me think
about a story i heard about poison dyes.
In about 1840ies i heard there was a new invention with a very bright green
colour. They made wall hangings with this dyed silks and also it became a
very popular colour for fashionable ball dresses. But they didnt realise
that it was a very poisonable dye. The skin would consume the poison. Have
anybody other heard this? It was a story i heard at Gammel Estrup where they
have a room with silk
tapestries in this collour.

Bjarne

Leif og Bjarne Drews