Washing machines like that are not peculiar to Germany. British machines don't
usually have a cold setting either (mine is actually an Italian-made Candy). I
don't know about Whirlpool models sold in the UK.
Oh, and our water is fluoridated.

Kate Bunting
Librarian and 17th century reenactor

>>> [EMAIL PROTECTED] 18/03/2006 21:35 >>>
I lived in Germany for 16 years from 1976 to 1992.  Everything that could
bleed did.  However it was because of the German washer I used, not the
water.  The washer heated the water inside itself.  It really didn't have a
Cold setting such as Americans are used to.  Since we were there with the US
forces, I finally got a Whirlpool washer from someone who had shipped it
over and didn't want to ship it back.  Hooked it up to the water supply,
used American laundry soap (Tide, whatever) and never had the bleeding
problem again.

I kept the German Washer for when I was trying to get something really clean
and white (hot water and chlorine bleach), or to dye fabric in.

Regina